Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Perplexing Apathy

The story and pictures from Somalia are heartbreaking. Children are sick and starving and deprived of food and care by despotic terrorists bereft of human compassion. The numbers affected are mind-boggling. So why is there not a greater outcry? Where is the sense of indignation that follows closely behind other catastrophes? Where is the outpouring of help? I hope I am just missing it, but I don't see it and it makes me very sad.

The other day I posted a plea on Facebook for people to consider giving to the relief effort. I gave money that day, so I put my money where my posting mouth was. There were no "Likes," there were no comments; sadly, there was nothing.

The chatter went on, mind you, all around the gentle plea for help for starving children. But went around it is what it did.

I hope this message is not, like my Facebook plea, a vox clamantis in deserto. I hope someone is listening and caring and giving. I continue to hope. I will always have hope in the human spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment